6.11.2009

Mini Vacation to Maui

After Marge returned to Delaware...we took Lynsey for a mini vacation to the island of Maui. We splurged for the convertible. Nothing like the top down and your hair blowing in the wind! When we walked up to claim our baggage this is the sight we saw. Apparently we were the only ones that checked bags.
First stop at a scenic outlook.
We made our way to Lahaina. Cute roomie picture at the banyan tree in town. We walked around town and did a little shopping.
What kind of vacation is it if you don't have an umbrella drink? A little refreshment during our shopping.
Had dinner at Mama's Fish House. One of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at.
Drinks before dinner. I believe this drink was called a Scorpion...little stronger than a Mai Tai.
The next day we took our mustang out on the road to Hana. This is a very curvy road up through the mountains to the town of Hana. Lots of one lane bridges. We made many stops for short hikes and to see several water falls like the one behind us in the picture above.
Here's Lynsey hiking through the rain forest of Maui in a skirt and flip flops. Did she not look at the itinerary before she packed?
That's me getting ready to dive into the water below. Just kidding, but people do jump from there. Our travel book said there is a narrow margin for error.
Black sand beach in Maui. Much rockier than the black sand beach on the Big Island.
I'm looking for a nice little souvenir from the beach. I ended up getting my pants wet...I wasn't paying attention to the waves coming in.
Me in the entrance of a lava tube. It had a small opening we had to hunch over to get inside. The other side opened up like a cave and after 100 yards the ocean was lapping up on the shore.
We had our most challenging hike to a red sand beach. The trail was very slippery in our flip flops. All the tree debris on the ground made your shoes slide around. I caught myself between to trees on the way back down a hill.
Me with the red sand beach in the background. It's actually rust that gives the sand its red color. Another newer beach meaning the sand was more like little pebbles.
Red Sand. Only saw one nude sun bather. Not the apple banana I wanted to see!
It was time for someone else to drive. It took a lot of concentration to drive the narrow winding roads and on top of that we woke up really early to start our drive. I did my turn reading from the travel book in the back seat.
After we spent our time in Hana. We stopped for some banana bread. I tried an apple banana for the first time. Supposed to be the best banana...I beg to differ. Tasted like a green banana to me. But the banana bread was excellent!
Made it back just in time to go to Warren & Annabelle's Magic Show. Everyone really enjoyed the show. Lots of laughs. PAPAYA!
It was off to bed for us...another early day of snorkeling was on the agenda.

No comments: