8.04.2009

Kayaking to the Mokes

We have been waiting for summer our entire stay in Hawaii to kayak to the mokes. The wind and waves are just too strong the rest of the year. We kayaked from Kailua out to the two islands in the picture above. We spent the afternoon at the island on the left. We were in two man kayaks. We made it! The group includes: me, Jackie, Kara, Lauren, Shell, and Christine.
After enjoying a cold beverage on the beach. We took a hike around the island.
It was a little treacherous at times, especially with the waves crashing just below you. I was the slow one trying to avoid any disasters. I did have one flip-flop blow out on the way back, but that's why I keep Lauren around. She fixed it in a jiffy and we continued on our way.
A close-up picture of salt collecting on the rocks.
We went swimming on the backside of the island. It was worth the crazy hike. That's part of the group in the water already...remember I said I was the slow one. Some crazy people were climbing up the rocks and then jumping into this deep pool. The current was very strong here.
That's me jumping in from a rock shelf. So refreshing! The water was crystal clear.
Lauren and I swimming and trying not to be washed out to sea. The girls climbed out and hiked barefoot around another little piece of the island and I sat at this location and waited. While I had my feet in the water, I saw the biggest purple eel every swim right by me! Yikes! I promptly removed my feet from the water.
View from the beach, looking back at Oahu. It was a great day!
Jackie and Kara in their kayak. Glad we had these ladies with us...they were great guides!

No comments: