9.13.2007

Piestewa Peak (Squaw Peak)

I hiked around and then up Piestewa Peak today. It's about 2,600 feet to the summit. I took a 3.5 mile hike around the mountain and then 1 mile up to the peak and another mile down. It took me a total of 2.5 hours to complete this task. I learned a couple things about myself during my hike. First, I'm more of a forest/woods hiker as apposed to a mountain climber/hiker.
The path is primarily rocky from start to finish as in the photo above. Second, I learned that you should really have a good pair of hiking shoes for this hike and not a pair of tennis shoes as I had. Third, I learned what heat exhaustion feels like. I bit off a little more than I can chew. I started hiking at 8am and the temperature was mostly in the mid to high 90s the entire time. When you get goosebumps in 90 degree heat that is your body's way of saying I've had too much. Once I made it to the top of the summit (1 mile straight up the side of a mountain) at which point I ran out of water (not a good thing)...I could see downtown Phoenix in the distance. See picture above. Let me tell you the glory of the Sonoran desert consists of rocks, cactus, and very little shade. I did see many lizards, some wild hummingbirds, desert ground squirrels, and one cotton tail.
This picture above is showing the parking lot below. If you can see the little black spot down where the road makes a culdisack, that would be my car. When I took the picture I was so ready to be down there with my car. The hike from here to the car is where I thought I might collapse. Don't worry my sister knew where I was and knew I should be checking in when I was finished. She was ready to send out the troops after me. I did pass a park ranger station near the bottom. So I knew if I really couldn't make it I could yell for help. Have no fear...I did make it home without additional help. One cold shower and many glasses of water later I was back to normal. I'm sure my legs will be telling me about it tomorrow. I am proud of myself for finishing, but no more hiking for me as this point.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ellyn, the buddy system works.

ellyn said...

My legs and butt are so sore now! I really got my workout yesterday.

Unknown said...

Ellyn,

I'm glad you are okay, that someone knew where you were...and that it all turned out well. Looks gorgeous up there!

Alyson said...

Don't worry--I wrote down her local and would have sent in the troops!! :) Us Girl Scouts know that safety's first and to check in with "homebase" before embarking on a trek...even if "homebase" is in NYC! :)

Erin said...

Wow looks amazing. I never knew you were quite the hiker. I will show Dane and he will be so proud!

Christina said...

thats so exciting! i'm jealous of all of your fun adventures (although not jealous of the heat)! hope all is going well

Scotty and Allison said...

1) I have been on PiesTewa and you are right, it is not for the faint of heart or lungs

2) I strongly suggest that you NOT desert hike alone, even if you did the right thing and let someone know where you are. Heat exhaustion and dehydration are insidious and progressive in 0-10% humidity and you won't know you're in trouble until it is possibly too late. Your brain stops working properly and you will be prone to wander off the trail; by the time aerial rescue is called up and they find your heat signature you can suffer permanent circulatory and neuro damage, NOT THE TICKET for someone as young and with so much to live for as you.

Remember, that area (desert SW) is my home and I have seen bad things happen to even experienced rats, and these are guys with horses and plenty of water.

Done preaching, BAD ASS photos and I am very proud of you. Hiking that area at this time of year takes a lot of fortitude.

S.

Unknown said...

BOO!! UPDATE SOON!