4.22.2009

Great Barrier Reef

We went up to Cairns in order to experience the Great Barrier Reef. Who knew we saved the best for last. Lauren with our boat in the background. The boat was 3 stories tall. We had tea and cake on the way. It was a 2 hour boat ride to the outer reef. Was a little rocky...my stomach was doing its own flip-flops as I watched a napkin holder slide from left to right on the counter in front of me.
This is a picture of the pontoon we spent the afternoon at. Snorkeling was off the right end of the pontoon.
Here are a few underwater pictures. Hard to say if that is me or Lauren.
Up close picture of some of the coral.
Can you see the little orange starfish on the left side...
Me swimming down by the coral. Nice shot Lauren!
Please note the full body blue suit. These were to protect us from the jellyfish (aka stingers in Australia) and the sun.
Me in the water in front of the boat.
The water is crystal clear and the coral makes all the different colors in the water.
I even saw a shark while we were snorkeling. Yikes!
Enjoying the sun and drying out from snorkeling.
Lauren and I were a minority to all the Japanese tourists on our snorkel trip. This is my imitation of all the pictures they took.
This was by far our favorite day. I would take a trip back to this part of Australia in a heart beat!

1 comment:

Kellyn said...

i LOVE the first picture of you underwater. that full body suit reminds me of the suits that they had to wear in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory when they went to the TV room. "hey mom, look at me. i'm on tv."