11.10.2009

Glass & Pumpkins & Glass Pumpkins

Our road trip the next day consisted of driving to Corning NY which is 2.5 hours away to visit the Corning Museum of Glass. The front of the museum was all glass, imagine that! That's Lauren and I heading to the door.
They kept boasting that they had the largest glass pumpkins. They were gorgeous!
5 little pumpkins sitting on a fence...or maybe just 3.
We were super excited to make our own glass pumpkins. We headed outside to blow our own pieces of glass. Alyson and I choose to make pumpkins and Lauren made a Christmas ornament.
In this picture they are applying the little bits of colored glass to the clear glass.
Here she is blowing the glass into a mold that creates the ridges on the pumpkin.
Then came my turn to blow my pumpkin.
While I blow air into the hot glass, the professional glass blower keeps rolling the pole back and forth so the glass stays balanced and doesn't drip off the end of the pole.
Another angle.
She keeps working the hot glass while I blow. You can see the furnace in the background.
There's my hot pumpkin without its stem.
This is her pulling the stem from a new piece of glass.
Here it is all done! They go into an oven to set and then they mailed the glass they made to us a few days later. I love my little pumpkin! It was completely worth the long drive.
Here's Lauren's ornament. It is purple, pink and white.
Alyson made a white pumpkin with a green stem.
After enjoying all the glass we could we headed back towards Syracuse, but first we stopped at Critz Farm for apples and pumpkins.
I found my lucky pumpkin. Can't wait to carve it up!
Look how cute our pumpkins look on the scale.
Sisters in the hay. I loved the barn! It was all very autumn from the barn to the pumpkins to being bundled up. I'm ready for some fresh pressed cider!
That's me moving our pumpkins in the wheelbarrow.
We headed home to eat pot roast and carve pumpkins. Looks like Lauren is having fun getting the goo out of her pumpkin.
Here we are carving. I'm getting pretty serious at this point. Lauren got us an awesome kit that had different designs for us to do. Alyson was picking out pumpkin seeds and cooking them up for a snack.
Here's our final products! Lauren had a tough time with the blinds, but her pumpkin turned out super spooky!
And here's my little pumpkin monster!
Happy Halloween!

No comments: