5.22.2010

Fun in Brooklyn

We planned a great afternoon in Brooklyn, NY. We were headed for some "Best Of" Pizza and The New York Transit Museum. I had been looking forward to the Transit Museum since my first day in the Big Apple. I decided to start our photo journal off with a picture of Lauren on the working subway for our trek to Brooklyn. If you didn't know, I do love to ride the train and I got a nice long ride this day. First stop was for pizza at Di Fara. This little 73 year old pop pop is from Italy and immigrated when he was around 17. He is the only one that makes the pizza. His sons help at the counter, but only pop pop makes the pizza. He does it because he enjoys it.
It was the quietest place I've been to in New York and the most patient I have seen people. This pizza is totally worth the wait. He grows his basil in a window box at the shop and imports his tomatoes and cheese. It was SO good!
Next stop was the New York Transit Museum.
The museum is located in a real subway station that is no longer in use.
They had all the turnstiles they have ever used at the subway terminals.
The one Lauren is standing at is from the early 30s and mine is from the late 30s. Wish it still cost 5 cents to ride the subway.
Can I help you? Would you like to buy a ticket? Do you need directions?
We didn't learn just about the subway, there was also history on the bus system and the bridges of New York. That's me adjusting the mirror of my bus!
Went a little further back in time for this one. Don't I strike you as your friendly neighborhood bus driver.
A level below the museum was where they kept all the old subway cars. They were all open and you could walk through. Which of course created great photo opportunities for Lauren and I. The track is still live, so mind the gap!
We think they should bring back the wild colors!
All aboard! These train cars had ceiling fans. I can only imagine how hot it much have been back in the day.
This is the money train. It used to ride along the track and stop at the subway stations and collect the money. 'Kinda like an armoured car for the subway. They are painted bright yellow.
Dollar dollar bills y'all! Lauren counting some money on the money train.
And to top it all off I had a ball in the gift shop. My two favorite purchases were my apron above with the city subway map on it and a set of playing cards (one deck looks like a metro card and the other a subway map). This was one of my favorite New York activity days!

No comments: